Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lunch for a Snow Day

School is still on despite the snowstorm. Getting there will be a nightmare.
I didn't make my lunch last night like I'm supposed to so I had to scramble a bit this morning. Parents needed help digging out the car (procrastinate) so I need to be ready even earlier.
We've got flatbreads and cooked chicken in the fridge. If I had gotten to stay home, I would have eaten this:

Chicken Quesadilla-

2 flatbreads (tortilla wraps)
Cooked chicken, cut into thin slices
Shredded cheese (cheddar or other)
Sprinkle of Chili powder
1/4 cup canned black beans (optional)
Cooking oil
Salsa or sour cream for dipping

In a large frying pan, with burner set to medium, brush a little oil in pan and lay a flatbread down in pan. Put chicken, cheese, beans and sprinkle chili powder over top of flatbread. Top with other flatbread. Keep close eye on quesadilla while it's cooking, pressing on it occasionally with a flipper or spatula. Keep heat low so the bread doesn't burn before the cheese melts. When the cheese has melted, flip the quesadilla over to cook the other side. You can lift the edge sometimes to look at whether you lunch is getting golden yet.
When it's ready, slide it onto a cutting board and slice it into wedges like a pie. Dip in salsa or sour cream (or both if you're awesome)

Sigh! That's what I would have had, but instead I had to throw a quick lunch together. So I did a Blackforest wrap:

1 large flatbread
1 slice ham
cooked chicken torn into small pieces
mayonaise and honey mustard
lettuce (iceburg works best) chopped into pieces or shredded
slices or shredded cheese

Lay wrap flat and spread with a little mustard and mayonaise. Place chicken, ham, cheese and lettuce on flatbread, leaving a little room at the top. Fold top slightly over filling, and roll wrap up tightly. For traveling, it's good to pierce it with a toothpick to hold it together. Or you can wrap it in wax paper.

Now all I need is a thermos of soup or hot chocolate, because it's gross outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment